Monday, June 1, 2009

"You Are What You Read..."

...I'm not sure what that makes me then...you decide

A few nights ago i was looking at what has become a pile of books next to my bed, thinking have I read all of these books this year? This 2009? Like from January until now? Alas, I had. It's so weird to think that in High School I hated reading, would never read the book for English or History or whatever. I usually skimmed the books and got the passing grade. That and I was in the Lower English classes the slight step above the E.S.L. (English as a Second Language) classes. So maybe I would have passed without skimming too. But here I am a lot older and maybe a schosh wiser and I've read a pile of books since the 1st of the this year!! It's weird how we grow and change. Anyhow just for the sake of it here's a list of books I've read this year thus far (in no particular order)...

LAST OF THE MOHICANS by James Fenimore Cooper
METAMORPHA by Kyle Strobel
I BECAME A CHRISTIAN AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY T-SHIRT by Vince Antonucci
HOW TO BE A PIRATE by Cressida Cowell
(All)
.....THE CHRONICLES OF NARINIA by C.S. Lewis
(for the 2nd and 3rd time)
.....THE GOBLET OF FIRE, THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX, THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE, THE DEATHLY HALLOWS by J.K. Rowling
THE THREE MUSKETEERS by Alexandre Dumas
ELLA ENCHANTED by Gail Carson Levine
THE DEVINE CONSPIRACY by Dallas Willard

Currently Reading: PARENTING WITH LOVE AND LOGIC by Cline and Fay

This of course does not include books of the bible that I've been reading through also. I'll add to the list (as a separate blog) as I continue to read. For those who are members of "GoodReads.com" Sorry I just want to keep one site for all this info that no one reads of mine :-)

Anyone have a suggestions as far as books to read. Ones that have impacted you or are just fun to read? I'd love to hear it!!

4 comments:

Jan-Michael said...

I am reading Laurie R King The Language of Bees
(2009)..Sherlock Holmes series which began with The Beekeeper's Apprentice... a great book!

Also read this year the Father Tim Books by Jan Karon and I highly recommend these!
At Home In Mitford is book one/

I read The Bible as Prayer by Stephen Hough on-going as it is praying through short phrases of the Bible which I love to do.

Lastly, just finished 2nd reading of Walking in Your Own Shoes by R A Schuller.

That's about it for me apart from reading MarkChop which is great!

Jan-Michael in Toronto, Canada

Twinkle Toes said...

i'd rather be what i read than what i eat!! nice variety of books you've got there. And though i've always loved to read I never wanted to read what i was told, even in the honors classes. Perhaps it's the rebel in us?

Jan-Michael said...

I guess we all have a time to just absorb books and I too hated reading at school, falling asleep studying but surprisingly now read a lot!

Good words of yours 'prefer to be what you read not what you eat'!

I just ordered Fathered By God: Learning What Your Dad Could Never Teach You (John Eldredge)
Read a few pages on Amazon.com and I know I am going to get something out of this book.

Saw on your list Mark, PARENTING WITH LOVE AND LOGIC by Cline and Fay! I don't know if you have kids or are planning on a family or just using it so you can help others with kids. Whatever, it is good to read about parenting!
My 2 daughters, one married last weekend and the other is getting married at end of August.

There never used to be much info to learn about parenting and it is good that the books are out there now.

Saw StarTrek 2009 and I guess Leonard Nimoy has a number of spots on FRINGE show also. A whole new career restarting at 78! Wow, good for him!

God is Blessing You
Jan-Michael

Jan-Michael said...

Read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell as he says

"My wish with Outliers is that it makes us understand how much of a group project success is. When outliers become outliers it is not just because of their own efforts. It's because of the contributions of lots of different people and lots of different circumstances".

I loved the book and now am into his other books Blink and The Tipping Point which I understand are as good as Outliers.

Jan-Michael